Carillon Historical Park Dayton
All You Need To Know About Carillon Historical Park
Carillon Historical Park in Dayton, Ohio, is a 26.3 ha (65-acre) park and museum that contains several historic buildings and exhibits about the history of Dayton, its residents, and its technology since 1796 to date. The park exists because of two generous people, Colonel Edward Andrew Deeds and his wife, Mrs. Edith Walton Deeds. Its major sections include transportation, industry, settlement, and invention. The park is also home to the Carillon Park Railroad, which is a miniature 71/2 in 190 mm gauge railway.
History Of Carillon Historical Park
While traveling in Bruges, Belgium, Edward’s wife, Edith, a talented musician found inspiration in carillon’s glorious music and dreamt of sharing the music with residents of Dayton. Her dream became a reality through the creation of Deed’s Carillon – which is her most visible heritage to the community she treasured.
A renowned inventor, industrialist, and engineer, Colonel Edward Deeds was a very close friend and accomplice to fellow Dayton luminaries John H. Patterson, Orville Wright, and Charles Kettering. Together with his friends, he co-founded the Dayton Wright Airplane Company, the Engineers Club of Dayton, and Dayton Engineering Laboratories. He also served as the National Cash Register’s third CEO.
After Ohio’s Great Flood of 1913, one of the state’s worst natural disasters, decimated most parts of the Dayton region, Colonel Deeds organized the creation of the Miami Conservancy District, which would later construct an extraordinary dam system that would protect the community from future damage by floods. The colonel served in the U.S. Army as the Chief of Aircraft Procurement. It is under his leadership and direction that the famous Liberty Engine was conceived and produced.
Since construction commenced on Deeds Carillon (1940), the dreams of Edward and Edith Deeds have grown into a beautiful 26.3 ha campus. It is worth noting the construction of Deeds Carillon was done within a two-year period under the watchful eye of Edith Walton Deeds and was through by 1942. When it was completed, Deeds Carillon was one of America’s six free-standing carillon towers. Initially, it consisted of a 151.5-foot tower with 32 bells (9 silent, 23 active).
The Park’s museum complex and exhibits were opened to the general public in 1950. The main aim was to showcase some of the region’s transportation achievements, contributions to progress, and various industrial innovations. It is worth noting that the Carillon Historical Park was developed, in part, by the Miami Conservancy District with help from the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Works Progress Administration, the National Cash Register Company, and the City of Dayton.
The campus was designed and planned by the Olmsted brothers, the same landscaping architects who planned the Central Park. The park contains countless artifacts and dozens of buildings and is one of Dayton’s most remarkable stories – one that continues to inspire thousands of visitors from different parts of the world.
Initial Exhibits At Carillon Historical Park Dayton
Its initial exhibits included:
• Wagon Shed-which housed the 1870 Concord Stagecoach and the 1834 Conestoga Wagon
• Wright Hall-which housed the 1905 Wright Flyer III
• Smith Covered Bridge
• Grist Mill with a working waterwheel
• Corliss Engine Building
• South Station-which housed John Quincy Adams 1835 locomotive
• A Deeds Barn replica
• Erie and Miami Canal Lock #17
In 1964, Dayton’s oldest standing building, the Newcom Tavern, was disassembled in downtown Dayton and moved to Carillon Park. It was dedicated on the 1st of May, 1965. Newcom Tavern has played an important role in Dayton’s community life. It once served as the community’s first jail, general store, church, and the first courthouse in Montgomery County. In 2005, the park merged with Montgomery County Historical Society to become Dayton History.
In 2011, a 20 acre area of previously-inaccessible land was introduced to the Park. Known as “History on the Hill,” the new area is made up of walking trails that weave through Carillon’s property history. The trail allows visitors to experience the region’s geology, gardens, agriculture, native plants, medical care, and peoples. The Park also made history by becoming America’s first museum to open a fully-functional, historic brewery – the Carillon Brewing CO.
Location Of Carillon Historical Park
The park, located at 1000 Carillon Blvd. Dayton, Ohio 45409, is open year-round except on Thanksgiving, the eve of Christmas, Christmas Day, the eve of New Year’s, and New Year’s Day.
Hours of operation are as follows:
• Monday to Saturday: 9:30 am to 5:00 pm
• Sunday: 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
Admission fees are as follows:
• Adults aged 18 to 59 – $8
• Seniors – $7
• Children 3 years to 17 years – $5
• Dayton History members and children under 3 – Free
Parking is available and free. If you are planning to visit the park, consider visiting their website and making a reservation or contact them on (937) 293-2841.
Also, If you are a fan of fun and laughter, give a visit to Wiley’s Comedy Club playing on the field.
Are you looking for commercial real estate property consultation in Dayton, Ohio? Contact us today on 3CRE and get the desired help.